Jeanette - Off The Cuff

My photo
My name is Jeanette, and I was born in Sweden. I've been a life long artist, and designer, who took a plunge into surface pattern design in 2022, currently selling at Spoonflower and Raspberry Creek.

Friday, November 19, 2010

Mandarin Ginger Glazed Mahi Mahi

11-2010 006I almost always keep a bag of mahi mahi filets in the freezer, because, well, you can't get fresh Mahi Mahi unless you live in Hawaii, I'm pretty sure.  And I do really like it.  Since I didn't feel like going out to grill this, I made a pan-fried dish, with an Asian-inspired truly off-the-cuff marinade.


I made this a few days back, so we'll see if I remember what went into it.   The rough gist of it was this:


11-2010 00211-2010 001
11-2010 00411-2010 003

INGREDIENTS:

2 Mahi Mahi filets, defrosted


Marinade: 
3-5 mandarins or clementines, juiced into a bowl
2 –3 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 large clove garlic
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
1 tbsp Mirin rice vinegar

Stir-Fry Ingredients:
1 bell pepper, julienned
1/2 onion, sliced thinly
1/2 bag of rice noodles, prepared according to package directions


DIRECTIONS: Whisk ingredients together for marinade and pour most of it over the fish on a plate for twenty or thirty minutes, or place in a zippered plastic bag if you have time to do a longer marinade. 
Meanwhile, prepare veggies, and noodles.  Once the veggies are stir-fried, and the noodles are soft, add the noodles into your stir-fry wok or skillet, and drizzle remaining marinade over the top, stirring frequently.
Get a skillet piping hot, and fry the fish on each side for 3 minutes or so, until it's not sticking much.  When done, sprinkle sesame seeds on top, and serve with the noodles and stir fry (or any other side dish you like.) I made a mess of the noodles, because my soaking water was way too hot, leaving a gelatinous mess of noodles.  I still ate them, though.  I'm kind of like that. 


By the way, I think this glaze would be really good on chicken or pork, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment