Jeanette - Off The Cuff

My photo
My name is Jeanette, and I was born in Sweden. I've been a life long artist, and designer, who took a plunge into surface pattern design in 2022, currently selling at Spoonflower and Raspberry Creek.

Friday, January 6, 2017

Cranberry Citrus Oatmeal

Every year for Thanksgiving, I make a variation of the standard Cranberry-Citrus sauce recipe (that is often on the back of the bag of cranberries.) I inevitably end up with huge amounts left. Last year, I started adding it to my oatmeal as a way of using it up, and it was really good! You could also use this sauce as a condiment to roasted chicken or pork, or even grilled salmon. The standard recipe doesn't call for any seasonings but I find it satisfying to add fresh ginger and cinnamon to this sauce.
  

INGREDIENTS:

1 bag of fresh cranberries (12 oz, I think.)
1 whole organic orange, zested and juiced into a bowl (organic is best for citrus that will be zested, so there are no pesticides on the rind) or 3 mandarins
1/2 cup sugar (or more to taste if you want a sweeter sauce)
1 tsp freshly grated ginger root
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 pinch of sea-salt

DIRECTIONS: 

Wash and sort the fresh cranberries. Wash, zest and juice the citrus fruit. Peel ginger root with vegetable peeler, and mince or grate it with an grating-iron. Simmer all ingredients in a covered pot with a splash or two of water at the bottom, until berries start to pop.

To make the oatmeal, use whole rolled oats, or steel cut oats, and follow instructions. For a really satisfying bowl of oatmeal, add a couple of tablespoons of healthy-fat grass-fed butter or coconut oil a pinch of sea salt, and as much cranberry sauce as you want, and stir it all in to make those carbs last longer.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment