Jeanette - Off The Cuff

My photo
Blogger at: http://offthecuffhome.blogspot.com and http://offthecuffcooking.blogspot.com -- My name is Jeanette, and I was born in Sweden, but unlike the famous Muppet, I am not a professional Swedish Chef. I actually studied design and photography. I also was a freelance indie-rock critic for several magazines from 1998-2005, and had an in-house PR company for a while. Cooking is in my DNA--my dad's brother was a chef and their father was a pastry chef, my mom's mother was a caterer, who published a cookbook of traditional Finnish breads and pastries when she was 92. Everyone else in my family loves to cook, and we're not afraid to experiment. I have a yen for interior design and remodeling.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Holy Guacamole!!

I'm a major guacamole fiend.  I can easily justify eating half a bowl myself, because hey... it's a vegetable, and it's the "good fats" and has tons of fiber, too. Plus it's so excellent with tortilla chips, or over a quesadilla or slathered on enchiladas, on a toasted bagel,  or even just on a spoon.



Making it takes about 3 or 4 minutes-- seriously, it's so easy.  I'm no authority on authentic Mexican foods, but everyone who has ever had this very simple guacamole has devoured it.  It sure beats the store bought kind full of fillers, gum, and artificial preservatives.  You can make a bowl for about $3, so it's not too pricey, either, depending on the season.



\
You will need:


A bowl
A spoon
A fork
A garlic press
A cutting board
A paring knife.


You should also have these ingredients:

2 ripe, soft avocados
2 cloves garlic, peeled & minced
2-4 tbsp lime juice *I actually often use lemon juice in a pinch, and it's quite okay that way*
1/4- 1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper


Cut the avocados in half; twist the halves apart, and remove the pits. Use the spoon to scoop out the flesh into the bowl. Mince the garlic, and add it.   Mash up the avocado with the lime (or lemon) juice, sprinkle salt & pepper across the guacamole and stir it in.  I prefer to let it sit for 20 minutes or so in the fridge to chill and absorb flavor.   I adjust the acidity, saIt and pepper to taste a bit at a time.

To keep left-overs fresh, put plastic wrap directly on the surface of the guacamole, and squeeze air out the side before sealing it and refrigerating it.  The plastic wrap helps prevent oxidizing.  If the top still gets a little brown in the next day, just stir it in to the guacamole underneath.




No comments:

Post a Comment