Jeanette - Off The Cuff

My photo
My name is Jeanette, and I was born in Sweden. I've been a life long artist, and designer, who took a plunge into surface pattern design in 2022, currently selling at Spoonflower and Raspberry Creek.

Monday, August 20, 2012

Sockeye Salmon with basil-yogurt dressing

Sometimes I actually say something out loud before deciding if it sounds like a good meal idea.  Today I said "basil-yogurt dressing" and a light bulb came on! 












Ingredients: 

Dressing:
3/4 cup Greek yogurt
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice
6-8 leaves fresh basil
1/8th - 1/4 tsp sea salt

4 salmon fillets
2 tsp dill (fresh or dried)
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp sea salt

1 1/2 cups brown basmati rice
1 tsp ground ginger
1-2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp salt

1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 yellow or white onion, thinly sliced

I knew this dressing would be tangy and bright in its flavor profile so I decided to prepare some very rich, meaty Wild Alaskan sockeye fillets  to complement that.  (I think this dressing would be good on several types of fish, for the record.  Maybe Mahi Mahi, Tilapia, or Orange Roughy to name a few others.)  I had just gotten some Sockeye at CostCo, so I took them from the freezer, and defrosted them according to package directions.  When they were at room temperature, I sprinkled dill, coriander and salt on them and allowed them to absorb some flavor while I made the dressing.

Blend all dressing ingredients together with a food processor or immersion blender.  I used my trusty Cuisinart Smart Stick with the processor-bowl and went to town.

I proceeded to cook some brown basmati rice in my rice cooker, with a teaspoon of ginger, and a tablespoon of butter.  I made some super thin slices of onions and red peppers (because they go with everything) and sauteed those in coconut oil in one of my Lodge-brand cast iron skillets.  Meanwhile I also pan-fried the salmon in another iron-skillet, which I had preheated to medium-high to get a good sear for the bottom of the salmon.  I flipped the salmon about 2-3 minutes and gave it another 1-2 minutes on the other side. 

There you have it.  The whole meal came together in about 25 minutes. That's pretty good for a random Monday!




No comments:

Post a Comment